Monday, July 18, 2005

Donkeys on Wheels

I could write up a Donkey blog entry every day based on the driving I go through during my daily commute. Donkeys in general are confused by a number of things, including, but not limited to turn signals (blinkers), stop lights, stop signs, lane changes, merging, speed limits, and of course the dreaded 4 way stop sign intersection. The 4 way stop is an interesting, confusing beast. You can literally see smoke pour out of the ears of some of the donkeys that try to tackle them.

So, a single case of, say, a donkey not waiting their turn and basically going right behind a motorcycle through a 4 way stop, wouldn't be anything special. Even if they then beep at me and point to the motorcycle as if to say "hey, that's not a car, it must be my turn." Just an example, of course.

Today's entry was special though. A common donkey driving move is to drive in the parking lane to pass cars. A typical larger street would have 2 lanes plus a parking lane on each side, separated by a median. Now, there's a reason why the lanes are called parking lanes. I'll get to this in a bit. As I said, these particular donkeys love passing people in the parking lanes. A lot of them will do it right in the middle of an intersection.

So here's the setup: I'm in the left lane driving about 35mph in a 30mph zone. In the right lane is a Jeep sitting about a car length behind me and doing about the same speed. There really aren't any cars behind us, and there are stop lights that aren't timed very well about 4-5 blocks apart. Well, no cars behind us except the donkey in the parking lane who flies up doing about 55mph. I'm in the left lane, and with my neck problems I really can't look behind me too well, but I was able to see that there was, get this, a PARKED TRUCK in the PARKING LANE.

The donkey saw it, but based on the extremely short amount of the time between the tire screeching sound, and the car smashing sound, he obviously didn't see it soon enough.

Imagine that. Something parked in a parking lane. I wonder what donkey did that?!?

Morphy

No comments: