Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sorry Donkey, I Can't Hear You!

I'm not necessarily back on the prowl for donkey stories quite yet, but I do have a few things to post, which I'll spread out across the next week or so. First off, I needed to come up with a name for our readers. Obviously calling the readers donkeys would be wrong, since the donkeys are the subjects of the posts, and not the readers of them. RGPer GrouchySmurf suggested using "Manifestites" and thus from this day forward, the loyal readers of the Donkey Manifesto will be known as such.

I've always said that I'll take submissions from Manifestites and post them here. Unfortunately I have 2 that I've let go by the wayside, and a third one that came in today. I'll post them in the order received, mostly so the first two don't feel slighted in any way.

Manifestite and RGPer Pokeraddict brings us this story. As featured on rogerebert.com's answer man section, the link to the information is below:

http://tinyurl.com/9t29k

The article talks about a movie made about the incredible accomplishments of percussionist Evelyn Glennie. I've seen Evelyn perform before, and she's simply amazing. The thing is, Evelyn is deaf. She's an excellent musician as it is, but knowing that she is deaf makes what she is able to do simply amazing.

So why is she featured in a donkey post? Well, she isn't, but the creator of the movie is. Why? Because he felt that making a movie about a deaf person and including subtitles would, and I quote "be hurtful" in the theatrical release. He also says "the visual aspect of the film is as important as the aural."

Ummm, that's all well and good, but don't you think that this film would appeal specifically to deaf people? I know that making a movie about a deaf person and thinking that deaf people might want to see the movie seems far fetched, but come on now! I have to go now. This is the type of donkey who would make a silent movie about a blind man, and if that's the case, I have another blog entry to write!

Until next time,

Morphy

No comments: